Carol A. Peters - Attorney at Law
Call Us For a Consultation 626.793.9383 1100 East Green Street, Pasadena, CA 91106
Elderly Couple Holding Hands Pasadena City Hall Huntington Library Pasadena at Night

Elder Abuse Process-Legal Remedies

The Welfare & Institutions Code and Penal Code §368 prohibit and punish physical abuse, physical neglect, or financial abuse of an elder (over 65 years) or a dependent adult (18-64 years of age). This means that there are both civil litigation and criminal penalties for elder abuse.

Sometimes such allegations are the result of misunderstandings and lack of “sunshine”. The prompt use of a Geriatric Care Manager can often help to prevent misunderstandings and eliminate family disharmony, by resolving disputes before they grow into litigation, triggering the various legal remedies for elder abuse. Often with a care plan and appropriate support services, the elder can continue to live at home in dignity and comfort.

The legal remedies are temporary or permanent, depending upon the circumstances. When a TEMPORARY CONSERVATOR OF ESTATE gets all of the financial and insurance information together, the Court is able to looking at the Big Picture. Informed decisions can be made about the care plan, to ensure that the elder’s funds will be used for the elder’s care, and without abuse or neglect.

When there are investments that need ongoing supervision, such as a stock portfolio (which should not be sold without know the Long-Term Capital Gains Tax consequences), a GENERAL CONSERVATOR OF ESTATE may be needed to oversee investments. Sometimes this position is required to chase funds taken from the elder.

Other times, a GUARDIAN AD LITEM may need to be appointed to represent the elder’s best interest as Plaintiff in that one and only matter. When everyone is willing to rescind the transaction, restoring property to the elder, no litigation needs to be filed.

If the elder has a Revocable Living Trust, the elder’s Successor TRUSTEE undertakes the ongoing financial management without Conservatorship. The HEALTH CARE AGENT can ensure that care is provided properly and in the least restrictive environment.

What happens when the Successor Trustee and/or Health Care Agent are NOT providing proper care? The Trust can be put under Court supervision. Then the Trustee must file Accounts with the Probate Court, and notice of the Accounts is sent to all known Trust beneficiaries and intestate heirs.

When informal, pre-filing mediation fails to resolve the dispute, or develop the Care Plan, then a Court hearing is necessary. The Conservative is entitled to a Jury Trial. After hearing the evidence from all parties involved, the Jury or the Judge makes the decisions about whether (or not) a Conservator should be appointed. This avenue of a contested Conservatorship appointment can be an expensive process.

Each situation is unique: so address and resolve as quickly as possible any abuse situation:
___make a POLICE REPORT to start an investigation, and
___call a GERIATRIC CARE MANAGER for a care plan.

Share This Page:
Carol A. Peters, Attorney at Law, is located in Pasadena, CA and serves clients in and around Altadena, Sierra Madre, South Pasadena, Alhambra, La Canada, Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Glendale, Echo Park, Silverlake, Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte, San Gabriel, Temple City, Whittier, Los Angeles, Huntington Park, Norwalk, Santa Fe Springs, Pico Rivera and Los Angeles County.
Designed and Powered by NextClient

© 2013 - 2017 Carol A. Peters, Attorney at Law. All rights reserved.
Custom WebShop™ law firm website design by